Thursday, October 28, 2010

Singing At Supper

Picture from http://www.coopersvilleunitedmethodistchurch.org
On a typical evening, my family and I rush through dinner because we have some place to go by a certain time.  Plus, my eldest son tends to take his time eating his meals so my husband and I normally coax him to eat, which consumes time.  The other night, dinner was no ordinary dinner.  Out of a goofy mood, we sang at the dinner table.  Although I cannot remember the song we sang, I do know it was a children’s song.  We had a good laugh at the impromptu dinner singing, and enjoyed the closeness in our family.  We are blessed!

Today, I read passages in scripture regarding the Last Supper.  One statement jumped off the page!  “When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.”  This sentence is found both in Matthew 26:30 and Mark 14:26.  I never in my life knew Jesus sang!  Interesting.  This is the only indication in all of scripture (that I know of) that Jesus knew music.  Plus, they sang at the dinner table!

Of course, the two moments compare only a little since our family sang out of a goofy nature, and the disciples sang because this was the last meal they were going to have with Jesus for a LONG while.  The similarity is the closeness each person at the table had with each other.  Just as singing at our dinner table reflected the closeness in our family, singing at Christ’s last supper indicates the closeness they had.  How beautiful that moment was!

Just a thought.  We normally remain quiet while the band plays a song during communion.  The next time we take communion together, shall we sing as we eat the bread and drink the wine (or grape juice)?  What would it sound like if we all sang a-cappella as we took communion?  My guess would be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment